After pellets blinded his Right eye, boy sells vegetables on cart 

Sopore: Nineteen-year-old Basit Ashraf Mir worked as a bus conductor until some months ago, when he was blinded in his right eye by pellets fired by government troops near his home in Arampora in Sopore. He had gone out to buy medicines for his ill sister. There are still many pellets lodged inside his body, which give him severe pain, but as he is the only earning member in his family, he has started selling vegetables on a cart. He wakes up early in the morning, goes to the vegetable market, and after buying the vegetables, takes out his cart. When it is evening, his younger brother, who studies in Class 10, comes to him and helps him return home. It is difficult for Basit to walk alone when it is dusk.
“On Friday, August 5, my sister was ill and she required medicine. There had been stone-pelting outside after Zuhr prayers, but I waited until it was over before I stepped out of home. When I reached Rahim Sahib Road, the government forces present there fired at me with a pellet gun. I felt something hot hitting my whole body. I fell on the ground. There was blood oozing out from my eyes and body. I couldn’t understand what had happened. Some local boys came and picked me up. They put me on a motor bike to take me to hospital but the government forces did not allow us to take the main route. We took another road to reach the Sopore Sub District Hospital. I had lost much blood my then. All my clothes were soaked in blood. The boys who took me to the hospital later told me that the place where I fell had turned red with my blood. After giving me first aid, doctors at the Sopore hospital immediately referred me to Srinagar hospital,” Basit recounted the incident to Kashmir Reader.

“At Srinagar hospital, I was not operated on the same day but was kept under observation for the entire night. The next day when I was operated, I recovered a little vision in my left eye but my right eye remained blind. I was again operated on after two days, by some doctor from Bangalore, with no positive outcome. We were discharged after my second surgery. I was on bed rest for three months at home, only visiting Srinagar once a week for check-up. After three months I was again operated on by Dr Sabiya at Srinagar, but my right eye could not recover any vision,” Basit said.

“There are hundreds of pellets still stuck in my arm, head, eye, hands, neck and fingers. The pellets in my right eye and fingers give me immense pain. I get fever and my whole body starts shivering.”

Basit had left his studies when he was in Class 9. He needed to support his family after his father met with an accident in the wood factory where he worked. Basit began working as a bus conductor on the Sopore- Baramulla route, earning Rs 3,000 per month. Now, with his one eye blinded, he has started selling vegetables on a cart.

While Basit was speaking of his blinding, his elder sister Shazia entered the room with her eyes wet. She unlocked a trunk in the room and brought out some local Urdu newspapers. “Look at the face of my brother in these newspapers. What have they done to my beloved and joyful brother! May Allah have no mercy on those who are responsible for it,” she said with tears in her eyes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s